Thursday, March 6, 2008

Should You or Should You Not Be A Nurse?

There are a lot of people taking nursing right now. As of this time, lots of nursing schools are sprouting all over the Philippines, and sadly not all are credible. Everywhere you go, you see nursing students that are first coursers, second coursers and sometimes every professionals from other fields. It's mind boggling how many people want to become nurses.

There are a lot of reasons why people are taking nursing. I'd like to think that those who are taking nursing right now are taking it for the reason of service and dedication to the public and promotion of health to the Philippines, but even I didn't think of that when I first entered into the nursing course.

Like tons of students out there, I am one such student that shifted to nursing because it was what my parents asked of me. I believe it took me 2 years to actually fit in to the nursing crowd. Two years of agonizing over why I took nursing. I'm sure there are a lot out there who feel that way right now and I sympathize with you on that matter.

But here's the thing, nursing is not a course to agonize about. It was only later around my 3rd year in nursing school that I realized what being a nurse is, and what being a nurse required.

Being a nurse means being open to service, all forms of service. Yes, there was a matter of theory, the books and procedures on diseases and techniques ,etc. but in all honesty, that was just secondary to the fact that being a nurse meant willingness to serve those who need us and those in pain.

I know many if not most of the nursing students decided to take nursing because they want to help their families, they want to go abroad, they want to earn more than the average Filipino income, and thats true, you nor I can't deny that because for a fact that is why my parents wanted me to take nursing. But the truth is, if your heart is not set on serving others, I'm sorry. all the books in the world will not help you get there. Potter and Perry can only do so much as to provide you with background theories. But the truth is, it is the heart and the will to serve that determines if you should be a nurse.

How can you judge if you made the right choice to become a nurse? For one thing, it is alright to be forced to take nursing (at first) but as long as you learn to love it. Love the feeling of being able to serve a person and and give relief to the person's pain. Otherwise, your four years of nursing will be useless.

Books, theories and techniques are just guidelines, it is service and the willingness to serve that makes one a real nurse. Sure, you may have the highest grade in your nursing class, sure you may have passed the local board exams, but what good is that if your not willing to serve? It will all go to waste. Believe me. Hospitals will not hire nurses just because of high grades, exceptional scores but when it comes to the willingness to serve you rate the lowest. That only equal zero to the dollars you thought you will be getting, which is too bad.

If you don't feel that way about service, then I suggest you get out of it while you still can because all the dreams of dollars and living the American dream will never ever materialize without the willingness to serve.

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to close this post by saying this: If you are meant to be a nurse you will be a nurse. But always remember that to be a nurse means to serve, not dollars, not visa grants. It is the willingness to serve. If you know that is not what you want to do, do not waste your time. And to parents please do not force your children to taking nursing just because you think this will help them prepare for the future. Listen to them first. Some may be swayed but others cannot. And the more you do force them, the more you will hurt them.

No comments: